27.11.07

Household Cleaners

So I've been slacking... or rather life has happened. It is now IMPOSSIBLE for me to use the computer while Mateo is awake. He does not tolerate time spent in the office, unless he is the one using the keyboard. Needless to say, I have stopped trying and can only do stuff at naptime. What happens when there will be no nap time... I don't even want to think about it!

Few things that I've been meaning to share with you all:
Homemade cleaning products:
I started a few months ago and after some trial runs, I've discovered recipes that work for me.

All Purpose Cleaner:

2 cups hot water
1/2 teaspoon washing soda
2 teaspoons Borax
1/2 teaspoon castile soap (we use Dr Bronner's)
Few drops of your favorite essential oil (we use eucalyptus)

Dissolve the washing soda and borax in the hot water, mix well and add the soap and essential oil. Keeps very well and just needs to be shaken once in a while.
Use it on kitchen surfaces, highchairs, floors ( I dilute 1/2 cup of cleaner to about one gallon of warm water).
Bruno was super skeptical of this endeavor but now sings the praise of the all purpose cleaner. It even cleans leather! We salvaged a leather Marcel Breuer knockoff and got the white leather super clean using the cleaner and a soft cloth.

I've also made laundry detergent , but will not post the recipe, as I still haven't found the right balance. I also think it might be responsible for some bum/cloth diaper issues. I need to make another batch, but I think I'll wait until after the holidays! My sanity is more important than homemade laundry detergent.

I got all my supplies at our local Co-op. It costs a bit to get started, but once you do, you'll recuperate your initial costs quite quickly. And you'll have earned bragging rights!!

No comments: