27.11.07

Breakfast

I MISS PANCAKES.
Nope- that's not a typo. I did not mean, I'm Miss Pancakes... I truly meant that I have been feeling lonely and what I need to fill that loneliness is to make a gargantuan amount of pancakes.
I started making pancakes when Bruno and I moved in together. Before that, I had been a crepe girl. Yes, a crepe girl. When you have a Breton mother, you are automatically a crepe girl. Not only are you a crepe girl, but you are also a pancake hater. You are raised to believe that pancakes are a bastardized version of crepes. That you, as a crepe girl, are inherently better person than those pancake eaters. In fact, you are raised to believe that pancakes are an inferior food, fit for an inferior palate.
Luckily, by the time I met Bruno, the brainwashing hadn't completely erased all common sense. I was still at the point in our relationship where I thought I could impress him with my culinary prowess. Ha. Problem was, my pancakes were terrible. Dry, cakey, tasteless.
It's been a few years now, and we have eaten many pancakes. Some were good, some were bad and most were mediocre. Some had buttermilk, others had separated egg whites, some had buckwheat and others had yoghurt. I searched many books and websites, I flipped many pancakes and I am finally proud to share with you my (and Bruno's)

Very favorite pancake recipe: (it's stupid easy and simple)

1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons oil
1 cup milk (whole if you're feeling daring)
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a large bowl, whisk dry ingredients together. Set aside
In a small bowl, whisk egg, oil, milk and vanilla together. Add to dry ingredient mix and mix well. Let sit for about 15 minutes.
Heat cast iron pan to medium high and melt butter to coat the cooking surface. Pour about 1/3 cup pancake batter into skillet and cook until top has bubbles. Flip and cook other side.
You can add fruit such as bananas or blueberries for the kiddos.
What I love best about these pancakes is how easy they are to freeze:
You double or triple the recipe and just freeze the ones you don't eat! Stack them between sheets of parchment paper, stick them in a freezer bag and just pop them in your toaster for a super fast breakfast option!

All this to say... I can brag about how easy and fast they are to make... but there are NO pancakes in my freezer. We ate the last ones a few weeks back. It was a dark, dark morning. One day, we will see the return of the frozen pancake breakfast. Until then, we will have to be content with pear-cranberry (or fake raisins as B. calls them) oatmeal.

And with that, I am off to bed.

No comments: